Thursday, March 24, 2005

'Our Beautiful West Coast Thing'

We are a coast people
There is nothing but ocean out beyond us.

- Jack Spicer

I sit here dreaming
long thoughts of California

at the end of a November day
below a cloudy twilight
near the Pacific

listening to The Mamas and The Papas
THEY'RE GREAT

singing a song about breaking
somebody's heart and digging it!

I think I'll get up
and dance around the room.

Here I go!

- Richard Brautigan

San Francisco yesterday was exceedingly beautiful. Danville, California was exceedingly beautiful today as I lay sun-drenched on my bed, sleeping on and off, taking cat n
aps. Mom pointed out that the hills were bright green after a rain. Let us not forget that I do, at times, profess my love for Minnesota. Walking across the stone arch bridge, legs hot with numbness, only a flask to keep us warm, waiting underneath the light heater in the light rail station, I loved it more. But anywhere you are, you can love it more.

My cat lets me hold her for long periods at a time now. Perhaps she misses me or perhaps she is just getting old. It is hard to watch cats age. They go through the entire life cycle before your eyes, before you even change that much. Eleven years? I still remember her as a kitten.

No comments: