Sunday, November 28, 2004

Together Everybody Achieves More

Some of the sidewalks of Macalester College campus in St. Paul, MN are now covered with a thin glaze of ice. After the snow on Saturday, it ceased to snow anymore. The snow that melted across the paths froze, however, and now I find myself bringing out again the Flat-Footed Walk, good through February 2005. Wearing the no-tread Converse leaves me in the state of perpetual one-moment-away-from-falling, and it is necessary to take precautions, such as the Flat-Footed Walk, the Eyes Down, and scoping out the paths that have the smallest number of square feet of ice. So it goes, and so I look forward to another winter of watching people fall and many close calls.

I have two more weeks of real class left and it must come as no surprise to you that I am absolutely terrified. What have I been doing all this time and what have I accomplished? There are two parts to this question and one of them deals with the social aspects - what relationships have I improved? It seems like the number of weekends and days I have had to hang out with people has been severely cut and now I am scrambling to go back in time, pick up every scrap of detail I can remember with each person and sew it together, hoping it will form some sort of quilt that will at least be large enough to cover most of me, so it will warm the insides as well.

Academically, I have learned in 3 out of 4 classes and that is not a bad ratio. I assume now that one throwaway class is expected each semester - and to have four good classes is essentially the work of some sort of Athena.

No comments: