Wednesday, June 22, 2005

i am a mermaid with golden hair

I have taken up once again with my musical fervor. After a week of listening to nothing but my Andrew Lloyd Webber mix, and only stopping because the CD got too scratched up to listen to with my car's crochety old CD player, I've taken to doing something quite out of the ordinary - listening to musicals I haven't heard three hundred times before. That doesn't mean that I'm going to take up listening to new musicals - or RENT or West Side Story or any kind of hoo-haw, but I did listen to Andrew Lloyd Webber's "Aspects of Love" the entire way through over the last couple days. I don't think I've ever heard the whole thing before, and if I did, it went right through one ear and out the other because I was probably 6 years old when I heard it. Besides, why should I try to listen to it again, my auntie saw it and called the musical "Aspirins of Love" because she needed a bunch to get through the play. But, guess what, I enjoyed it. Funny how that is. I just bought the sheet music for $5 on Amazon. A whole new world of piano playing possibilities - how joyous. The intended incest in the show still kind of gets to me though...

JENNY
If you were a sailor
And heard my song
Would you be lured by me?

ALEX
I wouldn't be
Foolish enough to
Go near your rock --
I'd steer my galleon out to sea..

BOTH
..lonely and lost at sea..




No comments: