Wednesday, November 09, 2005

69 love songs

There are, in fact, three volumes worth of Magnetic Fields albums called "69 Love Songs." We were talking the other day - how can there be oh so many songs about love? When really, from an abstract point of view, there is only one thing to know about it? Whether you do it, or whether you don't. The thing is, the way people do or don't seems special and unique to each and every person. So each and every person will write a love song before their end of days. I've in fact written three.

I've just finished reading Lorrie Moore's "Self-Help" book of short stories. It's the most inspiring thing I've read in ages - and by inspiring I mean not hopeful or jovial or classic inspiration by any means, but by the fact there there is writing out there that hits so close to me. It's my sentiments, my stupid girly sentiments, expressed in beautiful and humorous, scathing, angry prose. And those heartstrings I like tugged so much. Oh, that's there.

In other news, time is dwindling down already. I feel like it's been no time since I arrived in Minnesota, ecstatic and surreal, like no time since I arrived at this house, crying and alone on a futon in my empty bedroom. The last few days have been fabulous in self-improvement - I am inspired to write and to art. There could be nothing better.

A playlist: 1. Cloud Prayer-AC Newman, 2. Prelude #4 in E minor-Chopin, 3. Since I Left You-The Avalanches, 4. I Only Wanna Be With You-Bay City Rollers, 5. Morningwatch-Dolorean, 6. The Pledge-Brendan Benson, 7. If You Knew-Neko Case, 8. All Those Years Ago-George Harrison, 9. Hey Jealousy-Gin Blossoms, 10. Dare-Gorillaz, 11. O Mimi Tu Piu Non Torni-LaBoheme, 12. Annie's Song-John Denver, 13. Theme from 'Eternal Sunshine..'-Jon Brion, 14. Mornings Eleven-The Magic Numbers, 15. Ball&Chain-Martha Wainwright, 16. Kiss at the End of the Rainbow-Mitch&Mickey, 17. What is Your Secret-Nada Surf, 18. Teenage Kicks-Nouvelle Vague, 19. I Summon You-Spoon, 20. Saddest Quo-Pernice Brothers, 21. High Party-Ted Leo&the Pharmacists, 22. Nothing Compares 2 U-Sinead O'Connor.

"There is never anything conclusive, just an endles series of tests.

And could you leave him tripping merrily through the snow?"

No comments: